Friday, December 4, 2009

Review - Animal Crackers

Hooray for Captain Spaulding, the African Explorer…………

You know I never thought about hearing those lyrics in a live play. It just goes to show you, you never know what to expect. And the same can be said for the live production of Animal Crackers.

Animal Crackers is probably most famous for being a movie staring the Marx Brothers. I remember watching the old black and white film on television and thinking what goofy guys those three were. As a kid I only got the jokes that were silly but there were always a whole other set of jokes that were aimed for adults that went right over my naïve little head. The movie was actually originally based on a 1928 Broadway show featuring the Marx Brothers that they made into a movie in 1930. This show brought back to life the magic of a Broadway show.

I saw it at the Goodman Theatre right in the heart of the Chicago downtown theatre district. I sat center stage, first row and while that sounds great in the future I think I will always choose something a little further back as the actors were almost right on top of me. However that gave me a chance to see their expressions very, very well.

The story is about returning African Explorer Captain Spaulding attending a socialite dinner party that he really does not want to be at. He is joined by musician Emanuel Ravelli and the enigmatic and silent Professor. Although they never actually say what he is a professor of. My guess would be mayhem but who knows. During their stay a valuble painting is stolen and it is then that the fun begins. Many of the members of the cast had duel roles. They were in order of appearance:
  • Stanley Wayne Mathis…………….Roscoe W. Chandler/Hives
  • Ora Jones………………………………Mrs. Rittenhouse
  • Katie Spelman………………………...Arabella Rittenhouse/Mrs. Whitehead
  • Patrick Sarb……………………………Wally Winston/M. Doucet
  • Jesse Mueller………………………….Grace Carpenter/Mary Stewart
  • Ed Kross………………………………...John Parker/Horatio Jamison
  • Joey Slotnick…………………………..Captain Jeffrey T. Spaulding
  • Jonathan Brody………………….Emanuel Ravelli
  • Molly Brennan…………………………The Professor
--->(Pictures of the stars of the show in this photo folder)

The song and music list was:
  1. Dancerture (dance number performed by entire cast)
Act I
  1. Opening: Act One
  2. Hooray for Captain Spaulding
  3. Three Little Words
  4. Who’s Been Listening to My Heart?
  5. Everyone Says I Love You
  6. Everyone Says I Love You (Reprise)
  7. The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me
  8. Why Am I So Romantic?
  9. Ravelli’s Piano Solo
  10. Finale: Act One
Act II
  1. Keep Your Undershirt On
  2. Long Island Low Down
  3. Show Me a Rose
  4. Watching the Clouds Roll By
  5. Harp Specialty
  6. Four of the Three Musketeers
  7. Finale: Act Two
From the very beginning of the show you are greeted with that ‘theatre magic’ that can only be seen at a large venue. Things pop up where they weren’t before. A prop or stage scenery suddenly appears and in the case of the first appearance of Captain Spaulding a person suddenly appears where a seemingly non-important object was. For me, I was genuinely surprised when he made his appearance.

The musical numbers and the delivery of the lines by all of the performers was terrific as they must have taken great pains in making sure they stayed in line with the original characters from the movie. I can only speak for the movie as the original Broadway play was well before my time. In going back and reviewing the old movie again I realized that they had even some of the smallest jokes, puns and bad one liners that were in the original movie. I imagine running through the practices of this script must have been something like it was for the movie.

All the cast was terrific in their characters. They had the outlandish overly done New York accents as well as the pompous sounding high society tone down to a T. The singing was great and the elaborate dance routines were well choreographed, seemingly flawlessly.

The show really stood out in the performances of the three main characters that were originally portrayed by Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx.

Jonathan Brody who played Chico was superb. He had the over exaggerated Italian accent that Chico would use. The signature cap and jacket he always wore were present so even from a wardrobe stand point he looked like Chico. Then Brody sat down at the piano and I was really excited! As he started to play a little shiver ran down my spine. When I thought about the character before seeing the play the thought crossed my mind if they would find someone who could play the piano. Well they did. But not only did Brody play the piano, he played it in that same nonchalant, fingers dancing and barely touching the keys way in which Chico did. Even his always entertaining special emphasis on one finger shooting a single key on the other end of the piano was present. He did a terrific job and is a wonderful pianist. Brody’s portrayal of Chico seemingly could not have been better.

Joey Slotnick was insanely terrific as Groucho. I don’t know if he studied endlessly video of Groucho or what but he was Groucho come to life. I’ve seen Slotnick in several movies and television show but I don’t think I ever appreciated how good of an actor he is. He had Grouchos mannerisms, walk, dances, voice and even his funny facial expressions followed by his ‘I can’t believe it’ eye rolls. Remember I was sitting really close so I could see it all. If I were to forget that I was sitting in the Goodman Theatre in the year 2009 I would think I was watching a live performance of the real Groucho. His impersonation was uncanny. His crowning moment for me came when he stepped out of the Captain Spaulding character from the show and slipped right into an ad lib that was delivered in the same way in which Groucho would. I’ll always hold his acting ability in a new light.

Now Brody and Slotnick had their characters down exactly as the original Marx brothers but that was not the case with Molly Brennan who played The Professor or Harpo Marx’s character. While I did not see Harpo in Brennan’s performance, I did see the professor. First of course Molly is a woman playing the part of male role. No problem there I think a talented woman/actress can pull that off without a hitch. However I don’t think she was Harpo. But let me make something perfectly clear here, that does not mean I did not like her performance. On the contrary I loved it. In fact I would say I actually liked it better than the actual Harpo. Harpo while very funny always seemed to me to be almost malicious in some of his routines almost bordering on evil. With the only thing keeping him in check usually was Chico. Brennan’s character seems like a much more mischievous almost child like character. Her character is not really mean; he just wants to have fun……and chase girls. If Harpo ever caught one of the girls he was chasing I would always feel sorry for them and worry about what he would do. Molly’s character seemed like if he caught them, he wouldn’t know what to do with them.

She was very funny in this role and is one in that rare breed of women who can take a real pratfall. And I’m not talking about a little one either; I’m talking about a HARD one that makes you go ‘ouch!’ just watching her take it. She is a spitfire bundle of fiery energy that makes you tired just watching her. As much running, jumping and tumbling as she does she must lose ten pounds a day and gain five new bruises with every performance. She had me captivated and it was quite delightful watching her perform.

So when all was said and done it was a good time. I enjoyed the show very much and would love to see them do another performance of one of the other Marx Brothers movies. Hopefully with the same cast members for the brothers. I’m giving this play a 9 out of 10 and it’s sparked my fond memories of the movie so much I’m going to have to get a copy of it.

Now on with the show.
Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
www.website-hit-counters.com
http://www.website-hit-counters.com