Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Eleventh Doctor


This past Saturday, April 17th, was the premier of the new incarnation of Doctor Who on BBC America. This is the 11th Doctor counting the one shot movie Doctor of Paul McGann. In this 5th season of the new series Matt Smith takes over the reigns from David Tennant. Tennant has been playing the good Doctor for the last 3 seasons and has become a fan favorite. Smith has some big shoes he will be filling and I hope he succeeds.

Already there have been some complaints about the new show but I personally have none. It's not uncommon for fans of a previous Doctor to find a fault in a newest Doctor. I remember, way back when, Peter Davidson took over for the long running Tom Baker. Baker owned the part for 6 seasons so when the change came there were a few who didn't like the change. Over a period of time fans grew to love Davidson and is now also a fan favorite. Although in all honesty are any of the Doctors not a fan favorite? Even the aforementioned McGann who was a one shot Doctor and Colin Baker who had the shortest run as a series Doctor are favorites of the fans. That's one of the best parts about Doctor Who, you may like some of the actors more than others but everyone seems to love the Doctor.

I think it might take some time for others to accept him but I enjoyed the new Doctor character portrayed by Smith. For me I loved it. Smith was frantic, manic and just plain zany, the way any good Doctors' first day should be. Eventhough he was a different actor with a slightly different take on the Doctor, I still felt he was the same character somehow. I think it works. The writers/directors/whoever also did a nice little thing that linked this newest Doctor to EVERY other Doctor that has existed in the series. Won't tell you what it is. You need to watch.

I enjoyed it! Give it a shot, I think you will too. Plus hes' got like a new cute little redhead companion. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
www.website-hit-counters.com
http://www.website-hit-counters.com