Monday, August 9, 2010

A Difficult Post

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this or not. But we all handle pain in our own ways and for me, putting it here helps.

Macy Bella Ganz, a wonderfully tough and beautiful little girl lost her battle with cancer this past Friday 8/6. The news was devastating for many, myself included. I mentioned Macy back quite awhile ago when she was first showing signs of winning the battle. Michelle, her mom, would continually update their blog so that others, everywhere, could follow what they went through. Click here for her blog.

For quite awhile they were getting some good news and positive results. I truly thought she had won the battle but as many of us have seen in other cases, the cancer had moved to another area and had come back very aggressive.

Macy was first diagnosed with Stage IV Clear Cell Sarcoma of the Kidney, back in March of 2008. At that time she was given aggressive doses of chemo and radiation which lasted for over 30 weeks. They also had to remove her right kidney as it had a 2.5 lb tumor. She also had lesions on her lungs and spots on her vertebrae.

After battling that cancer they came back later to diagnose her with Leukemia. Again Macy fought this and she fought well. She would continually come back with positive results and looked like she was moving in the right direction.

However every time they would make a little progress, there would be a backslide as something else would turn up. During all this time Macy underwent more things anyone, let alone a child, should ever have to go through. Surgeries, chemo, radiation, induced coma, transfusions, stem cell transplants and more things than I even care to think about. Through it all Macy fought harder than anyone I know possibly could. So did her mom, dad and big brother. Michelle would take time to update the blog on a regular basis and make sure that if you were following, you could stay informed.

I'm not a parent so I can only imagine what it must be like for them. Even at that, my imagination could never truly reach the pain and sorrow that they are feeling.

This little girl touched so many peoples lives, mine included. She is a beautiful little girl and the last time Michelle brought her in to work I got to see her. It made my heart feel good and I was about as happy as you could be the rest of the day because here was a genuine walking miracle.

Michelle had a great quote on the blog:
"If love could have saved you, you would be with us forever"

This was so true. As Michelle says she is free from all the things that caused her so much pain and suffering. I said at the beginning that Macy had lost her battle. That was wrong. Macy has won.

We all love you very much Macy. Now you are home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
www.website-hit-counters.com
http://www.website-hit-counters.com