Monday, November 23, 2009

The Kindle Ereader (Originally posted October 15, 2009)

Kind of a review. So I’ve been looking into purchasing an ebook reader for awhile now. If you haven’t seen one of these yet, they are pretty cool. For someone like me or other readers they are great and really look like the future.

I had seen these in my local book store and was seriously thinking about getting one. Here’s the thing I like about these the most. They are small, about the size of a paperback book, and they can hold lots of books on them. The models that are out right now hold up to 200 books. Wow! Now that’s a lot. I think the turning point for me to decide to get one was when I was held up for many hours on one trip while traveling this year. I was stuck with out anything else to do but read. I did have 2 books on me and I actually read about 250 pages that day but at one point electricity was shut off to accommodate a problem and I sat for about an hour and a half with nothing to do whatsoever. It was pitch black.

Across the aisle from me a faint blue glow emanated from a woman a couple of seats back. It was then that I remember talking to her about the ebook reader she had. With its lit screen she was able to continue to read while I was not. I was thinking about mugging her for it but there is the whole legal thing so I opted not to do that. Instead I just sat there in the dark, envying her ability to still be able to read. I was sad.

After I started looking into them I found out they have some other cool features too. Like I said the screens are lit so you can read in the dark. They have a voice option that reads books out loud. Access to major newspapers and magazines. Can be sent word documents and images via email to upload onto system. Connects to your home PC via a USB cable. Down load latest best sellers via high-speed wireless connection. Access numerous blogs on the internet and has a connection to Wikipedia (online encyclopedia). And many more features.

Buying one will be a fairly major purchase but we do that kind of thing all the time now any way. People spend lots of money on TVs, Gaming Consuls, Computers, etc. If you’re a reader why not the investment in this? You can get almost any best selling book for around $10. If anyone has bought best sellers you know they run near $30 a piece. If you are an avid reader and book purchaser this thing will pay for itself in no time at all.

And there are people who I can see really benefiting from this more than others. For instance, people who have to travel a lot. Instead of like I did and have a couple of books on me, just have your ebook reader on you. Teachers or people who have to lecture, now you don’t have to carry around 10 books, just your reader. Students, minimize the number of books needed to carry from class to class. And for those in the military, instead of clogging up your footlocker or duffle bag with a lot of books…….just something the size of one.

After I started doing research on the ebook readers I found out there are a couple of different ones out there that are being produced by different sellers. After comparing what they do, looking at reviews and information from electronics rating websites, I’ve decided the one I’m going to go with is the Kindle. They have more features than their counter parts and they are cheaper. What’s not to like?

I found this website and this is where I’ll be buying mine.

E Readers Site

I’ll be looking forward to getting my own soon.

If I’m at home in my recliner be sure that I’ll be reading from a book but if I’m out and about without being able to carry a lot Kindle will be the way to go for me.

(added the link to my 'Reading/Books' links)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
www.website-hit-counters.com
http://www.website-hit-counters.com